ST. XAVIER’S COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), MUMBAI
POST GRADUATE DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY
Diploma in Bioinformatics is a one-year diploma program in the study of bioinformatics. To cater to changing trends in biological science research and incorporation of machine learning, the diploma course aims to train the young mind with basics and advanced data analysis in biological science. The course content of the diploma will help the students to implement the machine learning concept at their earlier point of education and research career.
- To introduce basic and advanced bioinformatics methods and tools, along with hands-on training.
- To introduce students to the fundamentals and recent advances in Proteomics and Genomics technology.
- To train students in the basic theory and application of programs, tools and software used for database searching, protein and DNA sequence analysis, genome and proteome analysis
- To train the students in applying the big (biological) data analysis in predictive, preventive, personalized and participatory health care.
- Students who have completed a Bachelor’s Degree or Master’s Degree in biological science streams
- Students who are currently pursuing their B.Sc final year (TY B.Sc.) or MSC I / II year in Biological Sciences (specialization in subjects of Biotechnology/Microbiology/Biochemistry/Life Science /Botany/Zoology)
The diploma course will have 10 modules
DBI 01 INTRODUCTION TO BIOINFORMATICS
DBI 02 BIOLOGICAL DATABASES AND DATA MINING (1 Credit)
DBI 03 ANALYSIS OF BIOLOGICAL SEQUENCES (1 Credit)
DBI 04 BIOSTATISTICS AND BIOINFORMATICS (3 Credits)
DBI 05: STRUCTURAL BIOINFORMATICS (2 Credits)
DBI 06: BIOINFORMATICS IN DRUG DESIGNING (3 credits)
DBI 07: OMICS IN BIOLOGY (2 Credits)
DBI 08: NEXT GENERATION SEQUENCING INFORMATICS (3 Credits)
DBI 09: CODING FOR BIOLOGISTS – BIOPROGRAMMING (3 Credits)
DBI 10: PROJECT (6 Credits)
Twenty-four credit course with 10 modules will be dealt with in regular theory, practical and project-based learning.
The modules will be covered in 2 semesters of 3-4 months each.
Lectures and practicals will be held on every Friday and Saturday from 3 PM to 6 PM.
Minimum 80% attendance, class participation. submission of regular assignment and expert guided method of evaluation are the minimum requirements for the completion of course.
Duration of the course: The course will start from 2nd week of July till March 2020
At the end of every module, a written test/ practical test or any other mode of evaluation depending on the needs and learning objective specified for the module, will be administered to the students. In addition, lab exercises and assignments submitted during the course will be evaluated. Completion of the guided project by the students on any of the module and the presentation will also form a part of the evaluation.
Total Seats: 30
Course Fees: INR 40,000/-
For more details contact:
Dr. Karuna Gokarn , HOD, PGDBT/ firstname.lastname@example.org/9820590072
Ms. Norine D’Souza, Faculty, PGDBTemail@example.com/9819970529